Sunday, July 12, 2009

Lost Goddesses


The inspiration for this series of pendants and brooches comes from this book I got called Lost Goddesses of Early Greece - A Collection of Pre-Hellenic Myths by Charlene Spretnak. Goddesses were "associated with order, wisdom, protection, and the life-giving process." In the patriarchal myths that came thousands of years later they were turned into jealous, troublesome, frivolous goddesses.
So I take the myths and use my old family photos to turn them into sort of a modern day icon...

This is from the myth of Pandora, where instead of opening a box of troubles because of her curiosity, she becomes Pandora..."Giver of All Gifts... I bring you wonder, curiosity, memory. I bring you wisdom. I bring you justice with mercy. I bring you caring and communal bonds. I bring you courage, strength, endurance. I bring you loving kindness for all beings. I bring you the seeds of peace." (p. 56-7, Lost Goddesses of Early Greece, Charlene Spretnak, Beacon Press, 1984.)

2 comments:

elsie said...

I love this pendant and you idea for the goddess series, can't wait to see more - oh and my daughter had a similar book issue on graduation day but at her school they announced the names of people who still owed books at the rehearsal a few hours before the ceremony and told the students whose names were called that they could NOT walk if they didn't bring their books back... mad tearful book scramble ensued but all ended well!

Evelyn Markasky said...

I guess lameness is everywhere!! I'm glad it turned out well!